Monday, June 23, 2008

Fun Facts From Zach's Almanac: "I think I am, therefore I am. I think."

Never actually knowing a father figure, I have always enjoyed the extreme luxury of imagining anyone at all to fill that position for me. Today the guy who has always been a very strong candidate, if not the best, for that position checked out of this hotel, bought the farm, shuffled off this mortal coil, settled in for the ol' dirt nap or as the timid say, "passed away".
I've never like that term. It's just too vaporous and nondescript. It's kind of like a fart in the crowd at Woodstock orBonoroo...You know it's there. But you can't put your finger on exactly where it came from, who did it, what the hell it's made of or how the good God damned long, it's going to linger. And then, just as it's losing it's potency and you think there may be a shot for you at sucking in some oxygen, someone freshens the damned thing.
The following excerpts are entirely George and what I like to believe are the things I would have learned earlier on as a lad at his knee.
"...in the bullshit department a business man can't hold a candle to a clergyman."
"Spirituality: the last refuge of a failed human being. Just another way of distracting yourself from who you really are."
"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around the more I think it might not be a bad idea."
"Road rage, air rage. Why should I be forced to divide my rage into separate categories? To me, it's just one big, all around, everyday rage. I don't have time for fine distinctions. I'm busy screaming at people."
"Can anyone explain to me the concept for one-hour photo finishing? How can you possibly be nostalgic about "a little while ago"?"
"...jazz musicians are the only workers I can think of who are willing to put in a full shift for pay and then go somewhere else and continue to work for free."
"When you think about it, 12:15 pm is actually 11:75 am."
In fact, there's no end to the things I actually did learn from this guy. And thinking outside of the box was always at the heart of it all.
Thanks, "Dad".

No comments: